Very Brief Advice
The National Centre for Smoking Cessation Training is now offering an online 'Very Brief Advice' (VBA) training module. This can be accessed here. This FREE online training module has been developed for GPs and other healthcare professionals to help increase the quality and frequency of VBA given to patients who smoke.
Level 1 Training (brief and opportunistic advice)
Duration: three hours
This training is suitable for all people working in health and related services, but who are unable to offer intensive intervention sessions. Brief and opportunistic interventions are valuable as they highlight the benefits of stopping smoking. After successful completion of the course trainees will be able to undertake the following:
- Assessment and recording of smoking status
- Assessment of readiness to quit
- The health risks of smoking and the benefits of quitting
- Reasons why stopping smoking can be difficult
- Treatments to help with stopping smoking
- Referral pathway to local services
- Toolkit of marketing materials
Level 1 training is available upon request – please call Camquit on 0800 018 4304 for details.
Level 2 Standard Treatment Training Programme (intensive one-to-one intervention)
CAMQUIT have designed their training programme in line with the National Centre for Smoking Cessation Training (NCSCT).
1. Pre-course information - The training has been designed with learning in mind to help you deliver an effective smoking cessation service for your clients. If you feel it would be relevant to your job role we advise you to complete the NCSCT Very Brief Advice training module online before you attend our training, this should take no more than 30 minutes. This can be found at http://elearning.ncsct.co.uk/vba-launch. Please note this is not compulsory.
2. Training day – the training day runs from 09.30 to 16.30 and will focus on addiction, products to support a quit attempt e.g. nicotine replacement therapy (NRT), health behaviour change, motivational interviewing and how to work effectively with clients.
3. Follow-up session – this session will be booked after the training day and will take place at your workplace and last approximately one hour. This session will include further discussions on the local enhanced service agreement and any outstanding questions from the training day; you will receive your CO monitor including instruction on how to use it.
This training is suitable for healthcare professionals who can offer intensive one-to-one sessions and behavioural support. Attendance and completion of all modules is essential for certification. After successful completion of the course trainees will be able to advise on/undertake the following:
- The effects of smoking on health
- The effects of second-hand smoke (particularly with regard to pregnancy and young people)
- The benefits of stopping smoking
- Smoking cessation treatments and their outcome (pharmacotherapy)
- Assessment of nicotine dependence and readiness to quit
- Behaviour change and motivational interviewing
- The benefits of behavioural support
All Level 2 trained advisors will be expected to return monitoring data to CAMQUIT by the fifth day of each month. When a Level 2 advisor leaves a setting such as a general practice, it is essential that the CAMQUIT Co-ordinator is advised so that the new member of staff can attend the training and continue to provide the service.
Level 2 Annual Update Training (mandatory for all Level 2 trained advisers)
Duration: two hours
This training will be delivered in locality areas at the dates set out in the CAMQUIT programme. The CAMQUIT administrative team will prompt you when your update is due.
Specialist Smoking and Pregnancy Training
Duration: three hours
This training is suitable for those working in health and related services who have completed Level 2 training with CAMQUIT and are able to offer intensive one-to-one intervention sessions. The following topics will be covered on the training:
- Smoking in pregnancy rates in England
- Risks of continuing to smoke during pregnancy
- Benefits of quitting
- NICE guidance for NRT use in pregnancy
- Health behaviour change skills and techniques for working effectively with pregnant women
If you require further informtion about our training please contact the CAMQUIT on 0800 018 4304 or email us at email@example.com.
Please see the attached list for of all CAMQUIT training dates Camquit Training Timetable Jan 18- March 19.pdf